Thursday, October 18, 2007

Whakarongo mai!

Whakarongo mai - "listen up!"

I had an amazing trip with the Andersen family through to Lake Taupo last month. We stayed at Hatepe in the bach and enjoyed several days of true whanau-style recreation. John provided an amazing barbecue on day one, and then on day two we went to AC Baths to enjoy the hot pools and Erik and I even had a go on the kiddy's pool inflatable assault course. Erik only won because I let him!

We did a very good walk along the Waikato to Huka Falls. I enjoyed seeing the native bush there, quite different to the environment here in Dunedin - central North Island is relatively tropical! Although I doubt those who live there would see it that way . . .

I felt my first earthquake whilst I was there, a good 4.5 shake which was centred very close to where Paul and I were fishing. My immediate thought was that somebody was chopping trees down. I heard a real rumble and then a shudder. Since then we have had two or three quakes in Dunedin, which were quite different, much shakier and longer-lasting. Dare I say it, I am getting used to the idea of regular earthquakes!?

I should mention that Paul was the only one fishing at the time, I was battling through undergrowth on the opposite back in order to retrieve some tackle which we had snagged on an over-hanging branch. When I finally made it to the right spot, Paul had hooked a gorgeous trout!

Talking of the trip as a whole, I have to say it was exciting to leave Dunedin behind for a while and see bits of New Zealand familiar to me, as if I weren't many many miles from home and on the other side of the world. In fact, leaving Dunedin I realised it felt a bit like home - familiar, comfortable, and perhaps a little boring.

This weekend I am taking a trip to Milford Sound with a friend from work. I promise some photo's on my return!







No comments: